Choosing the Right Measurement Tools
Measurement tools range from simple thermometers and sensors to complex laser levelers and video inspection systems. Consider a potential purchaser's accuracy and portability. You may also need to think about the conditions you will be working in, since rough terrain and extreme weather can affect accuracy.
We sell products that are NIST-traceable for use in the most demanding applications as well as pocket-sized instruments that can go anywhere.
LASERS & MEASUREMENT TOOL APPLICATIONS
General contractors, land surveyors, electricians, plumbers and construction professionals all have many uses for laser levels at their jobsites. Some of the typical laser measuring tool applications include:
- Installing electrical wiring: Precision is essential for electricians running electrical wires and cables throughout a facility. Measuring tools enable electricians to determine the distance for cable runs and conduits. These tools can also help ensure that the height of high-voltage lines meets the clearance requirements. Another application is locating underground cables and measuring their distance from landmarks or obstacles.
- Determining a facility layout: Accuracy is paramount for HVAC, cable, electrical and maintenance contractors bidding on projects. Laser measuring tools allow contractors to obtain precise measurements by distance, area or volume. As a result, they can make more accurate estimates that help them land more jobs. Other laser measuring tool applications for facility layout include determining building heights and widths, calculating square footage for internal floor spaces and determining the footprint for cubicles and office equipment.
- Promoting building safety: As building codes become stricter and facility safety receives more attention, builders and architects must find ways to implement safety features in their designs. Laser measurement tools can perform precise calculations for installing sprinkler and fire suppression systems, emergency lighting and fire extinguishers. These products can also produce exact measurements for the distance between machinery and safety equipment.
- Performing industrial maintenance: Laser measuring tools can prove invaluable in facility and plant maintenance. Use them for heat loading estimates by determining the distance between machines and meeting mass airflow requirements. They can also check the calibration of distance sensors when using automatic product shuttles, aligning welding fixtures and calculating the volume of powder coating ovens.
- Installing household features: Homebuilders and contractors can benefit from a wide range of rotary level uses. For example, when installing a chair rail, a contractor can use the level to make sure it's the same distance from the ceiling to the floor on all four sides of the room. Instead of using a tape measure to make manual calculations, the contractor can place the rotary level on a tripod in the center of the room.
- Home remodeling: Home renovations are among the many typical laser level applications. For instance, a standard kitchen remodeling job involves installing cabinets and countertops at various heights. A rotary laser level can ensure these surfaces are level throughout the room. You can also use them when installing a drop-ceiling in a basement to determine whether it's the same height across the room. Yet another use is to make sure you can attach drywall evenly when you're framing a room.
- Working outside: You can use a rotary laser level outside. You'll need a laser level detector to make the laser light visible as it moves around the area. One standard application for an outdoor rotary laser level is determining the height of the floor of a patio or deck. Calculating the height of a slope for a drainage project is another example.
Our Laser and Measurement Products
We have an extensive inventory of laser and optical measurement tools available for sale to customers throughout Canada. Our inventory includes:
- Detection tools, including the Stanley Stud Sensor 200 and the professional-grade Bosch D-TECT 150, which is capable of detecting ferrous and non-ferrous metals in concrete up to 6" deep.
- Drain and sewer video inspection monitors, including the SeeSnake line of inspection cameras by Ridgid, which features one of the smallest and most flexible camera systems on the market.
- Handheld video inspection cameras, including the Ridgid Micro CA-100, which includes a full-color 3.5" LCD screen.
- Layout stations, including the Stabila LA90L and LA180L, with which a single operator can quickly establish and transfer layout lines.
- Line lasers by Bosch, DeWalt and other manufacturers. The DeWalt DW089LG green line laser, one of our bestselling products, features a long-lasting 12V lithium-ion battery for go-anywhere convenience.
- Measuring tools, including Bosch laser distance measurers and similar portable products by Milwaukee, Reed, Stabila and others.
- Optical levels, including the 26x self-leveling Bosch GOL26 as well as builders' kits that include a tripod and grade rod.
- Plumbing locators such as the Ridgid NaviTrack II, a powerful-yet-straightforward tool that is easy to learn and use.
- Point lasers, including self-leveling DeWalt and Bosch laser levels.
- Rotary lasers by DeWalt, Bosch and other manufacturers. We sell individual lasers as well as complete rotary laser kits containing a wall mount, tripod, enhancement glasses and other accessories.
- Temperature guns, thermometers and laser imagers. Popular products include the Milwaukee M12 thermal imager kit, which includes software and a rechargeable battery pack.
- Test and measurement instruments, including the Ridgid Micro CD-100 combustible gas detector and Micro LM-400 advanced laser distance meter.
- Utility locating equipment, including Ridgid line locators and other tools.
- Accessories, including tripods in varying sizes and replacement cables for DeWalt and Ridgid inspection cameras.
Questions or trouble finding the tool you need? One of our representatives would be happy to help you locate what you are looking for.
Shop our Selection of Sophisticated Measuring Tools
Construction Fasteners and Tools is an online retailer for the professional contractor and the home DIY enthusiast. We carry products you can trust and back them with a 30-day return policy. Many products also have their own manufacturer's warranty.
Our experts are available to answer your questions at any time. We would be happy to recommend the right laser line measuring tool or other product for your upcoming project- call or contact us online to get started today.